19 November 2009

Thrifty Thursday: Children

Happy Thursday :)

With the economy the way it is, I know a lot of parents are going to be struggling to get toys and presents for their children this Christmas.  So I thought I'd share with you so things that my daughter adores that are fun, inspire imagination and self learning, and won't break the bank.

If you're a sewer, I know you'll have tons of scrap fabric around, but even if you aren't, raid everyone's wardrobes for clothes that don't fit, are stained, ripped whatever, and cut them up - I made this fab play mat for my daughter in a couple of days out of scraps, old shirts, and some left over polyfil from a cushion my cat scratched up. The base layer is from a vintage wool coat that had irremovable stains on. And if you don't sew, no worries - a tube of fabric glue will set you back about $5 and works just as well :)




I think most kids love mini things - so why not get some blank peg people?



Set of three, $1 from giddygirlie.etsy.com

You could either paint them for your child, or paint them together as a fun Saturday afternoon project.

You all remember my castle right? You can order free shipping boxes to be delivered straight to your door from usps.com and whatever you don't use for your orders can be turned into all sorts of fun things for your child to play with.

As always, feel free to post links of your fun childrens crafty things on my facebook fan page all day. 

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing better than a big ol' fridge cardboard box that can be converted into a playhouse, or a spaceship, or an office... the possibilities are endless. :)

    ReplyDelete